Question. What is Tiganites?
Answer. Tiganites is the equivalent of pancakes but not as soft as pankakes. More precisely, it’s fried bread with sugar or honey, similar to 'Queues de Castor' in Quebec. It is usually eaten at breakfast time or whenever one needs something sweet to eat.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Tiganites
- Mix all ingredients and knead dough for 10 minutes or until all ingredients are well incorporated. Place in fridge and leave over night. Next morning allow dough to thaw for about two hours.
- Add some oil and turn heat to medium. Allow oil to warm up. Add enough oil to cover the dough about half way.
- Cut a small piece to make your first tiganita.
- There are 3 ways to eat this. The first way is to add feta cheese inside the dough, as shown next.
- When a nice color develops on one side, turn it over.
- Add some honey to taste.
- The other two ways of eating this dough is, plain dough with either honey or sugar.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Tiganites video