How to make Baklava
Question. What is Baklava?
Answer. Baklava is Greek pastry traditionally made with phyllo dough, syrop (water, sugar, etc), and a nut mixture. Many Middle Eastern nations have their own version of baklava.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make
Phyllo dough is really fine and it is difficult to handle because it dries out quickly. Phyllo dough is kept under a moistened cloth while making each layer of baklava. Each phyllo dough is brushed with butter and each layer consists of about 5 phyllo dough. In between each layer chopped nuts are distributed.
- Pour in the sugar, and water and bring to a boil.
- At the same time melt the 1 pound of unsalted butter at low simmering heat.
- Once syrop begins to boil, remove from heat and stir in some lemon juice. Allow syrop to cool.
- Place the nut mixture in a bowl. Add sugar and spices.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Open up the phyllo dough.
- Apply some of the butter to the bottom of the pan.
- Cut the phyllo dough the exact size of the pan, as
- Make sure you reserve enough of the large size phyllo dough for bottom and top sections.
- Start placing phyllo dough one at a time onto the bottom of the pan.
- Apply some butter.
- Repeat this procedure 5 times.
- For the 4th and 5th layers of the bottom section use the smaller pieces of the phyllo dough.
- Try to finish all the small pieces prior to reaching the top and final section.
- After 5 layers of phyllo dough we will add a few handfulls of the nuts mixture.
- After every phyllo dough add butter.
- Use 5 phyllo doughs on the very bottom and very top sections. On the middle sections use 3 phyllo doughs.
- Don't panic if the phyllo dough is crumbly. Simply use it in the middle layers. If the dough is fresh it will not be so crumbly
- At this point turn on the oven to preheat it to 350 F. We have two more layers to go.
- Apply the 5 remaining phyllo dough on the top.
- Cut the phyllo dough in small pieces, as shown, but avoid cutting the bottom phyllo dough layers.
- On each piece, add one clove on top, as shown next.
- Pour some more of the remaining unsalted butter, just enough to moisten the phyllo dough.
- Bake at bottom rack at 350 F for an hour or until golden color is achieved.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts; Baklava video