Question. What is Bamies?
Answer. Bamies: Okra is a vegetarian main dish of which is very delicious dish if done the correct way. Okra is baked in the oven with tomato sauce. This dish may include potatoes, and/or lamb or chicken. The recipe is very simple but there is a trick to it.
Tips and tricks on how to make bamies
Cut the top of the okra but make sure you do not pierce through. Use only whole okra, (not any broken or pierced pieces).
- Clean the tip as shown, but make sure you do not pierce through.
- Coarsely, chop the tomatoes, and set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes or until transluscent.
- Add the garlic to the onions.
- While the garlic/onion mixture is sautéeing, rince the okra, for a few seconds.
- Distribute the sautéed tomato/onion mixture onto the ocras.
- Cook at 350 F at bottom oven rack for about 2 hours or until all juices have evaporated and only the oil is left in the pan.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. How to cook Okra greek style