Question. What is Fasolatha?
Answer. Fasolatha (white bean soup) is one of the healthiest dishes in Greek cuisine. This soup recipe is very tasty and filling. High in fibre and full of vitamins, its a great alternative when you wish to cut down on meats.
Tips and tricks on how to make Fasolatha
Beans must be boiled for a few minutes and left to soak in the hot water over night. Next morning, discard the water. You make the soup more flavorful you may replace the water with pork or chicken stock.
If you like the soup to be thick add lots of vegetables and even some flour.
- Chop the tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions and garlic, as shown in video.
- Heat the olive oil and begin sautéing the onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until transluscent.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water, white beans and spices.
- Continue boiling the beans at medium heat until 80% done.
- Next, add all the vegetables, and the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Last five minutes of cooking time, add the parsley.
- Optional: Add hot peppers to taste.
- At this point the white bean soup is ready.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Fasolatha video