Question. What is Kourabiethes?
Answer. Kourabiethes are cookies traditionally made in Greece during Christmas. They are very delicious and popular and are also made for festive occasions such as weddings, baptisms, etc. These cookies usually contain almonds and are sprinkled with confectioners' sugar after baking.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Kourabiethes
- Place the butter in the mixing bowl.
- Add the oil.
- Begin mixing the butter and the oil and immediately add the two eggs.
- After a few minutes of mixing add the icing sugar.
- After mixing for about 15 minutes add the remaining ingredients.
- Add the crushed almonds and mix for a few minutes more.
- Transfer the butter mixture into a larger plastic container.
- Start adding the flour a bit at a time and begin kneading.
- Add just enough flour to reach the consistency shown in the video.
- Oil the first pan. You will need a second pan to finish all the dough.
- The traditional cookie shapes are as shown, but make any cookie shape you wish.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake at 350 F at middle rack for about half hour or until a light yellow color is visible, shown next.
- Place all cookies on foil paper and apply the icing sugar on top.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Kourabiethes video