Question. What is Lahanodolmathes
Answer. Lahanodolmathes is simply cabbage rolls, Greek style (with avgolemono sauce).
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Lahanodolmathes
- We will begin this recipe with the cabbage preparation.
- Discard the outermost leaves of the cabbage.
- Wash each leaf thoroughly to remove all sand residues.
- Once washed, remove part of any thick stems, for even cooking, as shown.
- In boiling water, blanch the cabbage leaves for about 10 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- After 10 minutes remove the cabbage and allow to dry in a colander.
- Add one cabbage leaf at the very bottom of the pot, to protect the filled cabbage rolls from burning. Set pot aside for now.
- Next, we will prepare the minced meat by incorporating all ingredients specified in recipe.
- The minced meat mixture is now ready. Set aside for now.
- Next, add 2-3 tsp minced meat per cabbage roll, and roll as shown.
- Place a heavy plate on top to prevent the cabbage rolls from braking apart.
- Set the heat to medium to bring to a simmer.
- We have used up only 1 1/4 pounds out of the total minced meat. The rest you may freeze it to make youverlakia (see our recipe).
- After 24 minutes, the liquid has began to boil. At this point lower the heat to medium-low.
- After an hour begin checking the cabbage for tenderness. Check both, thin and thick cabbage leafs.
- You may remove the plate at this point, and since the cabbage leafs are still not done, place cover on.
- Keep the cabbage submerged in liquid all the time, for even cooking.
- After 2 1/2 hours you are done.
- Next, we will prepare the Greek egg/lemon sauce (avgolemono).
- Gradually pour in the sauce.
- Bring the liquid back to a lightly simmer to thicken the sauce.
- Give the sauce a taste and season with salt if needed.
- Give it a good shake and you are done.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Lahanodolmathes video