Question. What is Melomakarona?
Answer. Melomakarona are mouthwatering cookies drenched in honey and sprinkled with walnuts. With every bite of this cookie you will get the perfect blending flavor of spices and sweetness from the honey syrup.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Melomakarona
- Mix the butter, oil and sugar.
- Blend for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes add the eggs and the remaining ingredients.
- Add the walnuts.
- Take some flour and add the baking powder. Set aside for now.
- Add the spices and theflour/baking powder mixture from earlier.
- Next, we will begin adding the rest of the flour.
- You know there is enough flour, once the dough stops clinging onto the container.
- If you wish bake 3-4 cookies to test the oven settings. Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Oil the pan and shape a few cookies.
- Bake at middle rack at 325 F for 40-50 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool.
- Bring syrup to a boil and once it's boiling turn off heat.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cold cookies (or vice versa).
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- You can serve the melomakarona individually as shown.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Melomakarona video