Question. What are Methista koulouria?
Answer. Methista are soft and chewey cookies traditionally made in the region of Korinthos, Greece. They are made with one of the most popular anise-flavoured alcoholic drink called ouzo.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Methista Koulouria
- Pour the oil into some flour
- Add the leavener in the ouzo and mix well.
- Add the sugar and the water, specified in the recipe.
- Add the /ouzo mixture into the flour mixture.
- Add the vanilla powder and begin to knead.
- Next, we will be adding more flour in order to get the desired dough consistency.
- You know you have added enough flour when the dough stops sticking to the container.
- Knead the dough for 20 minutes either by hand or using a bread machine.
- Before shaping the cookies, apply a bit of oil onto your hands. Do not sprinkle any flour on the table.
- While making the cookies, cover dough with plastic wrap to avoid the dough from developing a skin.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Methista koulouria video