Question. What is Rizogalo?
Answer. Rice pudding is a dessert made with rice, milk and sugar. Cinnamon is sprinkled on top. See our FREE video on greek rice pudding recipe.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Rizogalo
- Add the water, rice and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling begins, lower the heat to low and allow to simmer.
- Simmer until rice is 90% cooked and most of the water has evaporated.
- Check rice for doneness. If not done, add about 1/2 cup of water and allow to simmer a bit longer until rice is 90% cooked.
- Add the milk into the cooked rice.
- Raise the heat to medium until rice/milk mixture comes to a light boil.
- Lower heat and maintain a light boil for 5 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Add the sugar and let simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and allow to simmer 1 more minute.
- Mix thoroughly the cornstarch with the milk.
- Add the cornstarch into the rice/milk mixture.
- Continue stirring until it thickens.This should not take more than a few minutes.
- Pour the rice pudding into five bowls.
- Add some cinnamon powder to taste.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. FREE Rizogalo video