Question. What is Spanakopita?
Answer. Spanakopita is the equivalent of spinach pie and it’s still one of the most popular in-between-meals Greek snack or appetizer. It can be eaten warm or cold, for breakfast or for lunch, it can be eaten as an appetizer or as a main course. The filling consists of chopped spinach (and other vegetables) and feta cheese all of which is wrapped with phyllo dough and baked in the oven until golden brown.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Spanakopita
- Cut the ends off, wash the spinach thoroughly, and allow spinach to dry over night over clean towels.
- Start kneading the dough for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit over night in the refrigerator.
- The next day, finely chop the spinach and shallots and set aside for now.
- Oil the pan as shown.
- Cut about 6oz of dough to make the first phyllo dough layer.
- Next, thin the dough using a rolling pin.
- Once the dough reaches desired thickness and is larger than the pan's diameter, place dough over pan as shown next.
- You will have to do five phyllo dough. Two for the bottom and three for the top.
- Crumble the feta cheese and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and pour them into the spinach mixture.
- Add the shallots and half the feta cheese to the spinach mixture.
- Add the herbes into the spinach mixture.
- Reserve half of the feta cheese in order to add it at the very top when the spinach mixture is in the pan.
- Cover the top of the spinach mixture using the excess dough hanging over the sides of the pan.
- Always apply some oil to each phyllo dough.
- Add your first phyllo dough on top.
- Cut off the excess dough (hanging over the sides of the pan) and place it under the phyllo dough, as shown next.
- Here we are adding the third and final phyllo dough.
- At this point, preheat the oven to 350 F
- Cut the top phyllo dough layers as shown. Do not cut the phyllo dough layers at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook at the bottom rack for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the dough has a good color.
- If the dough developed a color prematurely, place a foil on top and continue baking.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Spanakopita video