Question. What is Stifatho?
Answer. Stifatho is a very delicious dish and it can be made with rabbit, meat, chicken or fish. The authentic recipe is with rabbit. This dish is like a stew and it is made on the stovetop with lots of perl onions as the main ingredient.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Stifatho
This recipe can be used with veal or chicken.
- In order for the onions to remain whole, cut this side of the onion but not the other.
- Cut all the onions the same way. Wash and set aside.
- Next, cut the rabbit in smaller pieces.
- Rince the meat with water, as shown next.
- Leave rabbit in colander for 10-15 minutes to get rid of excess water.
- Next, you must let the rabbit soak for 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the garlic as shown.
- Saute the onions for about a minute or two at medium/high heat and immediately add the rabbit, shown next.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Next, we will add the some red wine and continue sautéing.
- Take a little taste to make sure all the alcohol has evaporated, prior to adding the tomato sauce.
- Next, add the water/tomato paste mixture, still on medium high heat.
- Add some more water and tomato paste. Lower the heat to medium.
- Next, immediately add the sugar and spices.
- Continue sautéing the onions and remove each one individually when done, shown next.
- Set onions aside for now.
- Sauté the potatoes the same way for 2-3 minutes.
- Set potatoes aside for now.
- At this point, add the sautéed potatoes and whole onions.
- Add some vinegar.
- Simmer at medium-low heat for another hour and a half with cover on, or until only the oil remains.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Stifatho video