Question. What is Taramosalata?
Answer. Taramosalata is actually a spread well known in Greece and it is traditionally made from tarama (salted and cured roe of the cod or the carp, simply said, salted fish eggs). This dish is typically offered as an appetizer (a spread). This spread can be extremely delicious if the correct quantity of each ingredient is used.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Taramosalata
Cut potatoes in smaller pieces to decrease cooking time. Do not allow the potatoes to cool. Use the blender immediately while the potatoes are very hot.
- Allow potatoes to boil for 30 minutes or until very tender. Reserve 1/4 cup from the potato liquid.
- When potatoes are almost ready mix together the liquid ingredients.
- Begin blending the potatoes.
- Continue mixing for 5-10 minutes or until there are no potatoes lumps.
- Once all lumps are gone, add half the caviar mixture. Mix for a couple of minutes until the caviar is blended with the potato mixture.
- Garnish with olives and parsley.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Taramosalata video